Rich in vitamins, blueberries are ideal for diets, being able to help with reviving the body, but they can also be eaten with confidence by people suffering from diabetes. Even more, nutritionists have pointed out several reasons why these fruits should be included in our daily diet!
1. They have a low-calorie intake and a high nutrients and fiber content (100g blueberries = 57kcal), making them suitable for being eaten with moderation in diets.
2. Blueberries contain tannins which can keep bacteria away from the walls of the urinary tract, thus protecting your from urinary infections.
3. They can prevent memory loss and restore it, if you’re suffering from age-associated issues.
4. Blueberries contain antioxidants such as anthocyanin, which reduces the level of free radicals, thereby reducing the risk of heart diseases.
5. They reduce blood pressure slightly. An 8-week study conducted on obese individuals, with an increased risk of developing cardiovascular disease, showed a decrease in blood pressure by 4-6%, after consuming 50g of blueberries per day.
6. They’re known for decreasing the LDL cholesterol level, responsible for the occurrence of atherosclerotic plaques on the walls of blood vessels.
7. Finally, blueberries have a low glycemic index, of just 53, making them suitable for consumption, with moderation, by people with diabetes or impaired glucose tolerance.
And there you have it, seven important advantages the consumption of these amazing fruits brings. If you know others, or fruits with similar effects, feel free to tell us about them, using the comments section below.